Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shock and Denial


Shock & Denial

This is the first stage of grief. I have left the image fairly colorless and light, a denial in itself. I have also worked for a shattered feel, because shock was a shattering experience for me. I could compare it to the splintering of glass - it has been broken into a million pieces, but has not yet fallen apart.

You will of course notice that it is in a typical rectanguler shape - but no worries - this is only temporary. My new plans for moving forward involve creating the 5 stages, then ripping them apart to be sewn back together as one flowing piece. I feel this serves my grieving process better, as it was not certain definite defined stages, but rather a merging of stages, and often going back and forth between them. This changes what the original works looked like, but then grief has very much changed me. The completed work will be a personal statement of my own grieving process, one I'm sure many will be able to relate to.

2 comments: