Thursday, February 24, 2011

Falling out of love....




I hate to say it, but as I sat working on my project last night, I discovered how much I have fallen out of love with it. This freaks me out a bit as I want to make something with my heart in it. I very strongly dislike working on things I am not interested in . I began ripping apart the paintings last night to get going on the process of putting them back together, and was not very satisfied. My vision of the completed piece doesn't seem to be in the torn pieces I am getting, but perhaps it is too soon to tell. I do however have no choice but to proceed as it is far too late to venture elsewhere. I just keep worrying that my senior project will be a big flop. I don't want to represent myself with a big belly flop into the creative pool. Arggggghhh.... experiencing my first real discouragment with this thing.

5 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your project. From what I can see it looks as though your pieces are torn in too much of an orderly fashion. The way that you have talked about your concept and emotions they don't sound as neat and tidy as that... Just an observation, maybe it will help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I envisioned the pieces tearing quite differently, but they were only creating orderly lines because of the weave of the fabric. The only way that I could get "disorderly" shapes was to cut with scissors, then I felt they looked to planned and unnatural. I donm't know. Maybe if I left the canvases slightly submerged in bleach or something overnight it would damage thje intergrity of the threads and tear in more unpredictable ways. I also worry about the canvas absorbing the bleach overnight and working its way too far into the painting itself. Guess I need to do some experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe with the tearing you can fray the pieces afterward or singe the ends? My thought would be that bleach would harm your painting, Peter might be the one to ask about that. I'm not sure that bleach would damage the threads... Maybe you should think about using another material? Maybe use an xacto blade and gently score how you want it to tear and then tear it. That may make it predictable but not neat and tidy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb - tried the fire thing - not so good1 The smell was aweful! Plus it wanted to just spread out from whereever the fire started in all directions, it was difficult to make it go in a certain direction, it just burned all the material up around it. I didn't like how this was working so I decided not to pursue it any furhter. Was a great idea though! I'm just going at them with a razor blade slashing here and there, then tearing, and back and forth.

    ReplyDelete