Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Piecing Myself Back Together (Revised Artist Statement)

Shock & denial, anger, bargaining, depression and finally acceptance; according to Dr. Kubler Ross these are the five stages of grief. Given the recent death of a close loved one, I have come to understand these stages better than I would ever care to. When it first happened, it felt as though everything I knew about myself and life had been torn apart, leaving behind nothing but grief. As time went on, I discovered that grieving was a necessary process to begin sewing the pieces back together again. My new work explores my personal connection with the grieving process by reflecting on the thoughts and emotions I experienced along the way. We will all experience the loss of a loved one at some point in our lives. Perhaps by giving a voice to my own grief I can help to let others know that they are not alone. Grief is natural and essential, and you will make it through.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I think this is much more personal and related to your subject matter. This begins to let others in to see exactly why you are doing this which I think was a big part of the lack of understanding at our critique. This is great! Keep going, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone who reads this now will "get" what your work is about, and I think all of us who have ever grieved a major loss will relate to it easily, giving your expressions meaning and value for us, as well as for yourself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete