Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Entering a World of Uncertainty

Well, I have been continuing the work on my series, and my concept seems to have begun to waver. This whole series has stemmed from a dramatic event in my life that happened only months ago. As I create my work it seems to keep returning to this event, rather than the spontaneity of life in general. This seems to be where my art wants to go, so perhaps I should let it go there. This doesn't entirely match my concept however. I have continued to work the same way, but seem to be dealing with different issues. My latest piece seems to focus more on the experience of tragedy and loss, both in the physical and mental senses. I am worried about changing my concept , but I feel it may need to. I may focus less on spontaneity, and instead focus on grief and loss. It may not be a happy series, but I feel like it needs to go this way. I do know that our ideas will grow and change as we work through the semester, I just hope this is the right direction. This event seems to weigh heavy on my mind, and perhaps it needs to be expressed visually. Any ideas or comments for me? I definitely need some!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that it needs to match your concept. It sounds to me that if you're working the same way then it will all visually connect and you just modify your concept. It really doesn't sound to me as thought you're straying that far from it, the same thing that triggered the series for you in the first place is the same thing that's twisting it into a different direction.

    It doesn't have to be pretty or happy. Often it helps just to get it out, and you never know - it just may turn out beautifully! If this is what you're feeling and need to get out then I would go with it and do it. Otherwise you're always going to have it trapped inside.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine, it does help! I think I have decided to explore the 5 stages of greif: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I think I'll make 5 paintings, each exploring one of the stages. I'm thinking on a fairly large scale so they are powerful, like the emotions are that you feel in each stage. I think I may incoroporate text too. The text can be quick little inserts of things I was feeling/thinking during each stage. This will make it personal to me too. The text will not stick out like it's stuck on, but be more incorporated into the painting.I'm ready to run with it I think! Just need a new artist statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, changing direction... sounds like you're really ready to make a shift. Although I love the work that you were doing (as I think most of us do!) I understand how overwhelming feelings and experiences can be in driving us to go in new directions.

    While I am intrigued by the idea of making work that explores the 5 stages of grief, I am wondering if there's any way that you could use/modify what you were doing to take you where you need to go, instead of completely revamping. I really liked the comment someone (I think it might have been Ethan?) made in class about letting the process show somehow, and the fact that someone asked why you stretched the canvases. I think it would be interesting if you could leave parts or them unstretched, or use irregular shapes instead of stretching them out into nice clean rectangles, or integrate fragments/pieces of them, perhaps burn them, or alter them in some other ways... Just some suggestions that hopefully will give you ideas to think about.

    Knowing you and the quality of work that you ALWAYS do, I am sure that you'll find a way to make something great no matter which direction you take... and I can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write up that new artist statement! I think that the new direction is a good one. It sounds more directed than your other which is always helpful to narrow things down, also - where it's so personal to you I'm sure it will be stronger in terms of your healing process as well. I'm excited to see what comes out of these!!!

    ReplyDelete