Friday, April 1, 2011

Rip, tear and reassemble.....





So I have torn apart the piece, and now have begun the process of reassembling it. Here you can see some images of a few pieces that are being stitched back together the way that they were originally painted - like pieces of a puzzle. For me these pieces are like the parts of me that remain the same after grief, while other pieces will be like the parts of me that are forever changed. Those pieces will be assembled in a way different from the original painting.

I find I am really enjoying manipulating the fabric and varying my stitches to create some tense points, while others are loose and pulling apart. I have felt this way in going through my grief - at times I have felt whole, at others I have felt like I was falling apart.

As I work I have so many ideas on how to work with the fabric - but I'm afraid some of them will have to wait - I don't want this to turn into one big jumbled mess of experiments. In my last post I mentioned the use of metal rings to help show my journey - I will save this for last in-case I deem it unnecessary in the end. i find the existing shapes and textures quite intriguing already. We'll see......

2 comments:

  1. I think sewing it back together is doing wonders for your project! its come a long way from the beginning of the semester and its only gotten stronger!!

    ReplyDelete